What is J10a?
The proposed J10a has been classed as a Nationally Significant Infrastructure project and specifically would aim to:
- Increase the capacity of the road network
- Improve journey time reliability
- Allow the delivery of residential and employment development within the Ashford growth area
- Provide a new route for traffic into Ashford via the new junction 10a and dual carriageway link road
- Improve safety around the existing J10 by alleviating congestion
- Minimise the environmental impact where possible
What is the process?
Highways England is proposing the new junction. It is consulting on its preferred route between 14th January and 17th March 2016, and will be hosting public exhibitions and special events, talking to local groups, writing directly to residents and placing advertisements in the local media to alert everyone to the consultation.
Please note that Ashford Borough Council and Kent County Council are only consultees in this process. Once Highways England has consulted with you and us it then submits the feedback received as part of its application to the Planning Inspectorate. The Planning Inspectorate will consider the application and make a recommendation. It is the Secretary of State for Transport who will make the final decision as to whether or not to grant permission in due course.
What is the preferred route?
All the details are available on the Highways England website and we would urge you to read through all the documents provided and attend the consultation events if you can. However, some of the main points about the preferred route are that it will:
- See a new junction, J10a of the M20, created 700m south east of the existing J10
- Include a roundabout over the motorway, new slips roads and a new link road to the A2070 Bad Munstereifel Road
- Incorporate the A20 Hythe Road in the new junction so that the traffic in both directions would travel via the new roundabout
- See a new pedestrian/cycleway bridge over the M20 from Kingsford Street to the A20
- See a new Church Road footbridge/cycleway replacing the old bridge
- See the removal of the existing east facing slip roads become redundant
- Include minor improvements to the Barrey Road A270 Junction
Where can I see the full details and find the online survey?
Attend the public exhibition at Amos Hall, Ashford (TN24 0HB) on:
- Thursday 21st January, 12noon-8pm
- Friday 22nd January, 10am-8pm
- Saturday 23rd January, 9.30am-3.30pm
Attend the one-day events at:
- Asda, Kimberley Way, Ashford (TN24 0SE) on Wednesday 3rd February, 11am-3pm
- Ashford Designer Outlet (TN24 0SD) on Wednesday 10th February, 11am-3pm
The consultation documents and designs are also available to view in a range of locations around the borough. To see the full list of where, see the statement of community consultation [pdf] 94KB.
Read more about the other Big 8 priority projects in the borough.