Clair has represented the rural ward of Weald Central since 2007 during which time she has been a strong voice for residents and local businesses. She works closely with parish councils to promote local needs homes in the villages and ensure that as far as possible development in the countryside is appropriate and in accordance with residents’ wishes.
She says “I have supported the residents on a number of campaigns to oppose development proposals felt to be unsuitable for the rural areas but am always ready to press for affordable homes for local people and to encourage rural employment. There is no doubt that our villages are under pressure to expand. Although everyone wants our rural communities to thrive we have to keep a close eye on things to ensure that quality of life is preserved for existing residents, and that our village centres and rural lanes retain their charm and character.”
Clair is a strong advocate of the ward member grant scheme which enables councillors to direct funding to specific projects in their ward. In recent years she has supported a wide range of community amenities, including:
· Bethersden Recreation Ground and Village Hall, Speedwatch
· High Halden Sports Pavilion and St. Mary’s churchyard
· Charing Heath World War 1 commemorations, sports field, defibrillator
· Pluckley Village Hall equipment, table tennis tables, defibrillator, pantomime storage shed
· Little Chart Multi-Use Games Area and Community Garden, commemorative bench
Clair is the borough Portfolio Holder for Tourism and Rural Focus and she is Chairman of the Parish Forum.